Extreme lateral interbody fusion (XLIF) is a minimally invasive procedure performed through the side of the body to treat spinal disorders and reduce long-term back or leg pain that has not responded to other treatments, 比如类固醇注射, physical therapy and pain medication.
Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion (XLIF)
XLIF differs from traditional procedures because the surgeon accesses the space between each spinal disc from the patient's side, 而不是从前面或后面, 保留背部大肌肉, 骨骼和韧带. XLIF的优点包括:
- Less surgery time — XLIF can be completed in as little as an hour, reducing the time the patient is in surgery and under anesthesia.
- Less blood loss and scarring — Minimally invasive procedures result in less tissue disruption and reduced blood loss.
- Less pain — Because the surgeon accesses the intervertebral disc space from the patient's side, XLIF does not disrupt sensitive back muscles, 骨骼和韧带. Many patients are able to walk the same day after surgery.
- Shorter hospital stay — In some cases, XLIF requires only an overnight hospital stay, compared to several days of immobility and hospitalization after traditional procedures.
- Quicker return to normal activity — 病人 usually walk the day of surgery, although full recovery takes a few months, compared to six months or more for traditional procedures.
During XLIF, surgeons work in areas that are close to nerves on the spinal column. 防止神经损伤, 神经监测, 叫做肌电图或肌电图, is used that provides surgeons with real-time information about nerve position relative to his or her instruments.
XLIF, 通常需要一个小时, is performed under general anesthesia so you'll be asleep during surgery. 手术步骤包括:
- Once you are asleep, you will be positioned on your side. The surgeon will use X-ray to locate the disc to remove and will use a marker to mark your skin above the disc.
- A small incision is first made toward your back. The surgeon places his or her finger through this incision to protect the peritoneum (sac containing abdominal organs) as instruments pass through the lateral space to the spine.
- A second incision is made on your side through which the instruments will pass to remove the herniated disc.
- 特殊的工具, 叫管扩张器, will be inserted through the muscle on the side of the vertebrae. X-rays and 神经监测 will safely guide instruments to the appropriate location and away from nerves.
- 放置管状扩张器后, a tissue retractor is placed over them, locked to the surgical table and held open to stretch the small incisions and provide light and instrument access to the disc space.
- With the spinal disc visible, the disc is removed.
- An implant is placed into the empty disc space. The implant is filled with bone graft for fusion.
- An X-ray image ensures the implant is correctly placed. The retractor is removed and the small incisions are closed with a few stitches and a bandage.
- 这取决于病人的情况, 额外的支持, 比如螺丝, 盘子或棒, may be inserted to stabilize the spine for fusion.
Because XLIF is less disruptive than conventional surgery, most patients can walk the evening after surgery and are discharged from the hospital the next day.
Your surgeon and health care team will determine the best course for you, depending on your comfort and other health problems you might have. Your surgeon will discuss with you any appropriate pain medications as well as a prescribed program of activities. In general, XLIF surgery results in quick recovery and return to normal activities.
Possible risks and complications include:
- Persistent pain at the site of bone graft harvest in the hip
- Progression of existing spinal disease
加州大学旧金山分校健康 medical specialists have reviewed this information. It is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or other health care provider. We encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your provider.